Skip to main content

More Shibori!!!

During the pandemic and lockdown, I had decided to try to burn through some of the yarn and/or threads that I’ve had in my stash for well over 10 years.  There is a LOT of it to say the least!  Most of it is in it’s natural state and either white or ecru so it would be perfect for....you guess it....more Shibori!  


This is a rayon cotton blend that it super soft on the spool and I have around 11 pounds of it so, it was next in line for me to play with. 


Since this yarn (or rather thread) is not as delicate as the last project in natural silk, I didn’t worry so much about the tension and thankfully didn’t experience any breaks in either the weaving, threading, or winding process.


My ‘go-to’ for Shibori is a supplemental weft placed in at every four picks so, I followed suit with that in these scarves as well.   


I did two short runs each around 5 to 6 yards long.  Once the fringe was twisted, I bound the fabric using the supplemental weft threads.  I typically use left over 8/2 tencel for my supplemental weft threads because they can withstand the pressure that I apply and they are smooth and slick enough to remove easily.


Pink and blue!




After soaking the fabric in soda ash for a little over an hour, I apply the dye mixture and then wrap everything in plastic.  The hardest part of the whole process is waiting for 24 hours for the dye to cure.  Patience patience patience!


As time goes by, the colors tend to deepen.


After 24 hours, the Shibori, still bound, is rinsed until the water runs clear.  I find that blues take much more time to rinse out and that seems like the protocol for almost all blues.  Especially turquoise.  


I chose to work with pink and blue because I was pretty sure that I would get magnificent purples where the two colors met.  This, in my opinion, gives a depth to the fabric that isn’t as noticeable with just one color.  Choosing two primaries almost guarantees that I won’t get muddy areas.


Tah dah!  This is the best part and feels like Christmas almost every time!  Though I have a pretty good idea as to what the finished product will look like, it’s almost always a surprise.  I just love Shibori!


And now for the second run.  I decided to go with a brown and green as well as a blue and turquoise.  Same dyeing process as the first run.  Soaking the fabric first in soda ash and then dyeing with fiber reactive dyes and waiting the 24 hours before rinsing.


Again, the blue (in this case turquoise) took the longest to rinse out.


The brown and green washed out rather quickly.


The scarves were left to dry outside (see my avocado trees in the background?!) and then rinsed again with Milsoft to soften up the fabric a bit more than just traditional fabric softener.  I think Milsoft works so much better and really changes the hand of the fabric.  


 Once the scarves were dry, I pressed them with the iron on a cotton setting with steam and the finished result was just wonderful!  I have them listed in my Etsy shop and you can see them by clicking here

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Waffle Weave Towels

There really is no greater therapy than creating.  There is something to be said when one can take time to create something and sit back and look at the results and be pleased.  I've been working through my stash of yarn and am nearing the end of it.  I'm getting to the colors that I'm not very fond of which is, in turn, making me look at the finished products and thinking 'meh'.  This last run of tencel scarves had me feeling that way.  I much prefer using rich colors as opposed to muted tones because the results are always pleasing to the eye.  Though these scarves have great luster due to the fiber content, they just lack the 'wow' I like to say when I'm finished.

     Switching gears and heading over to my Glimakra, I've decided to go with a run of waffle weave towels.  Since I don't have any unmercerized cotton left, I'm working with 5/2 mercerized cotton in teal and natural.

     As I was counting out the warp and listening to G…

The Creative Bug

I caught it!  The creative bug!  With college courses over until the Spring, I've been creating and creating and creating.  AND...it feels great to get back on track!  My goal is to really 'bust through my stash' of weaving yarn that I've had for years.  I keep having to remind myself NOT to buy anything because I have more than enough to work with right here!  :)  With a wide variety of 10/2 mercerized cotton on had, I decided to weave some towels.  The Digital Pinwheel set used 9 colors and I felt like they were on the loom forever even though I was happy with the results!


If I'm using 9 colors, why not just jump to 11 colors?!  Since that thought made perfect sense, I wove these Rainbow Pinwheel Towels.





Although these all came out happy and colorful, it looks like I barely touched my yarn stash!  
Last year I purchased some additives such as novelty yarns, sequins, and Angelina and had been adding those to my handspun yarns to create unique art yarns.  I wa…

Handwoven Store Up and Running!!!

Well, mission accomplished!  The Hand Woven store is up and running with some items that I've worked on recently.  The intent being to have a bit of variety and a splash or two of color.  There are some shibori scarves, chenille scarves, tencel scarves...scarves, scarves, scarves.  Just in time for this year's holiday season!














Yes.  Of course, there are towels as well but, I'll be adding them at a later time.  The Etsy store can be located right from this page by scrolling to the top and selecting the Hand Woven Store tab.  Well, back to the loom! :)