Monday, January 18, 2010

New Year Resolution a Little Late:)

I have spent the last 5 years doing basically the same thing on New Year's Eve. Spinning yarn and watching some type of drama or crime documentary....then again, that's what I do most nights anyway:) Everyone is all about making goals.....and I usually have a good one to work on. Last year, for example, my New Year's resolution was to organize. I wrote it down in very large letters on the white board in the old studio as a reminder for all year.....and....I did it! The only difference with this year was that I couldn't seem to come up with a good one. Hmmmmmmm. I'm still at a loss for a 'good one' so, I've decided that perhaps making 2010 a year of preparation for 2011 is the best option......I can't seem to come up with anything else. Come to think of it, maybe I'm still organizing.....lol.
I know for sure that I will be starting my C.O.E in Hand weaving. I have received the packet and am looking forward to working out a scheduled plan to work on it. :) Woo hoo!

As far as weaving goes, I feel like I've been weaving up a storm. I finished the yellow and orange warp scarves.......each with a different weft. One black, blue, and purple. This pattern was an echo weave plaited twill pattern that I designed and used on another set of scarves last year.
My camera doesn't like blue for some reason:)
The purple was a lot of fun!
The black is my fave! It's like Tiger's Eye!
Here they are drying after wet finishing and before pressing:)
This is the next set. Rust was the 'theme' in these. I played with treadling to get the different effects:) I like long fringe so that's why there is so much :) These scarves are about 85" long and about 12" wide! Bigguns!
The camera doesn't really pick up the luster on this one but, it seems to shine more than the others.........the weft is close to my carpet color.....my sister thought it was see through:)
Finally, this one is my favorite of this set. I used the rust warp with a deep burgundy for the weft. The pattern used is a network draft that I created then wove this one with the weft as drawn in. I was hoping for a 'water spot' look..........that was created! I was soooo happy! The only problem with weaving this scarf was that the warp and weft are so close in color that it was difficult to see a pattern emerging.....naturally, this is the part I look forward to. I had to wait to press this one to really see it............and......I was certainly pleased! :)
That's it for now. I have a merino/tencel set of men's scarves on the Compact. I'll be working on those next. Isaac is out of commission.......something has happened to the circuit board and the electronic interface is getting looked at. I am hoping and praying that it's something easy to fix and won't cost me $700!!!!!!! ;) Until next time;)