Skip to main content

Spring Green Towels in 10/2

     So I wove this run of towels in May and haven’t posted them yet because I’ve been weaving up a storm!  Seriously wove through the remainder of my 10/2 cotton.....but, more about that in a later post.  This first picture is obviously the hemming process and I always love the way the light from the sewing machine spotlights what is being sewn. 

So, this how this all started.  I had a ton of 10/2 cotton left over from weaving napkins years ago and I have taken a personal vow to not purchase any more yarn until there is a serious dent in the yarn tree.  What is there is simply what I have to work with.  Colors and all.  

This warp was roughly 630 ends at about 7 yards long.  I counted out the ends in three chains and this was the absolute last warp that I was going to count out on my current warping board.  I made it about 15 years ago and it has stood the test of time.

The next improvement that I’ll make to my Glimakra Ideal is a new raddle but again, something for a later time. 

So, I wove these in in the beginning of Spring May.  As in, the snow is over, why don’t you open up the windows May.  Birds chirping in the morning May.  NOPE!  Snow May?   I guess I had a  snow May.  I don’t recall that ever happening before but, what the heck...just an excuse to stay inside and get some serious weaving done.  

Threading the heddles with 10/2 takes a lot longer than thicker yarns for obvious reasons.  I love the way the green and blues work together.  I’ll hold that thought for when I’m dying for silk scarves (more on that in a later post).

Again, no complaints with snow in May.  It was a great excuse to stay inside and get ALL of this threading done!

This picture is a little bit sideways but a great example of what I see when I’m sitting at the loom, if I was sitting sideways.  Anyway, on the beater, you can see a knot in the wood.  I love this because it falls in the exact center.  I also have a handwoven rug that I keep under the treadles until I tie them up so I don’t bang up my nice bamboo floors.

I have woven this pattern probably a dozen times!  I love the way it weaves up with the plain weave borders eliminating the need for floating selvedges, which I find an absolute must for almost all of my projects. 

I wove a good 1 1/2” on either end in plain weave to get a good hem.  I absolutely hate wet finishing to find that some of the hem has come loose.  Solution - large hems!

This is a four shaft huck lace pattern.  Weaving on four shafts is a breeze.  I really tend to get a great shed and can really zip through a project rather quickly.  When weaving with all eight shafts on this loom, I feel like me sheds aren’t as clean (see previous post) so I’m still working on perfecting my treadle tie up.

This was a super quick run and I was really happy with the way it came out.  Shorter runs may be the way I turn my weaving for the future.  I find that if I put too much on the loom, I end up thinking about other projects

These towels are available on Etsy already as the weather has been very cooperative since I’ve posted and I’ve really had some serious time to dedicate to weaving.  

Next up is a run of runners and what happens when yarn calculations are way off:) 


Popular posts from this blog

Waffle Weave Towels

There really is no greater therapy than creating.  There is something to be said when one can take time to create something and sit back and look at the results and be pleased.  I've been working through my stash of yarn and am nearing the end of it.  I'm getting to the colors that I'm not very fond of which is, in turn, making me look at the finished products and thinking 'meh'.  This last run of tencel scarves had me feeling that way.  I much prefer using rich colors as opposed to muted tones because the results are always pleasing to the eye.  Though these scarves have great luster due to the fiber content, they just lack the 'wow' I like to say when I'm finished.

     Switching gears and heading over to my Glimakra, I've decided to go with a run of waffle weave towels.  Since I don't have any unmercerized cotton left, I'm working with 5/2 mercerized cotton in teal and natural.

     As I was counting out the warp and listening to G…

Handwoven Store Up and Running!!!

Well, mission accomplished!  The Hand Woven store is up and running with some items that I've worked on recently.  The intent being to have a bit of variety and a splash or two of color.  There are some shibori scarves, chenille scarves, tencel scarves...scarves, scarves, scarves.  Just in time for this year's holiday season!

Yes.  Of course, there are towels as well but, I'll be adding them at a later time.  The Etsy store can be located right from this page by scrolling to the top and selecting the Hand Woven Store tab.  Well, back to the loom! :)

The End Of A Run

The contrast of periwinkle blue and a nice soft yellow for the final scarf in this run brings a fabulous finish to this series.  I am still working through a book on design work and haven't been completely thrilled with the curves that I've been designing.  Perhaps it's time to go back to the drawing board and select different colors for the weft.  

Since it has been a few years since I've woven towels, I think that I'm going to whip up a run of those next.  I've vowed not to purchase any more yarn until my stash is down at least 50% and I have plenty of cotton to work with.  Waffle weave is one of my favorite towel structures.  The way it's woven flat and bounces with 'almost' uncontrollable texture after wet finishing.....oh.....and not to add that they are super soft and absorbent.  Yeah...I think it's time for a run of waffle weave towels :)  See ya!