Skip to main content

I Play Inlay! Yay!

Cheesy title but, I couldn't help it! :)

I first wanted to start with saying that the Compact Loom has been fixed! Thank God!!! I sat back down and just starred at it wondering what in the world could be wrong! I scanned each inch until my eye hit the obvious. The piece of wood holding the front cloth beam in place is crooked......just a little. It wasn't even that much. I peeked under the loom and low and behold there was one little screw that I've never tightened. I didn't even know it was there! Just imagine my joy as I tightened the screw and watched the cloth pull on that side! Woo hoo! I've never been so happy to see such horrible tension on my loom! :)

A very special thank you to Karen for the Louet dealer recommendation. I'm thrilled to know that next time I head upstate for a camping trip I have a new place to stop in at! The Spring has been on my mind for quite some time and I'm making a plan to start saving. ;)

So the project that was on the loom was another run of towels and has since been completed. The warp was long enough for 8 towels but, I only wove 6 leaving enough room for some 'play'. I've been talking about combining efforts with New Prospect Pottery for a line of custom/unique table decor. Well......it's happening. Lynn was very interested in seeing some cloth napkins and I have a C.O.E. to start.....perfect playing ground for getting some of the requirements done! The last yard and a half of the towels was used for a fun fiesta feel of color and inlay. This is the first time I've ventured into inlay purposefully and was happy with the results only after I started to show the accomplishments. This first piece to me felt like practice.
I need a little more practice and I'm sure I'll be creating some more soon. I serged the ends with a rolled hem and LOVE the way they came out! I think they'll be fabulous addition to the table setting line!

I have so much yarn, it's honestly ridiculous! I've been slowly trying to empty boxes of yarn laying it out on shelves in the studio closet as I think of projects. I found a wonderful rayon boucle on Ebay years ago and bought close to 15lbs! I'm down to the end of it and have been playing with cellulose dyes to create some fun painted yarns to weave light colorful Spring scarves with. I dyed nearly 3,000 yards of it in a beautiful pink, blue, and purple and put it up on the swift to count out ends. Well, the weight of it all made it quite hard for the swift to move so I asked the 'hired help' if he could pop in the studio for a minute and help me out. I demonstrated what it was I wanted him to do and he readily agreed with one stipulation, "Sure.....but I need something to sit on!" A boy after his mother's own heart! He helped me count the ends and I can't wait to share pictures once it's on the loom:) Such a good boy!!!
I'm finally near the end of the towel orders as well. On the loom currently is another set of olive green and burnt orange. In the back of my mind...................reduce the stash.........reduce the stash! :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The First Two Twills

For the first scarf, I chose a blue weft and the contrast in color with the burgundy warp is just wonderful.  At different angles, you can see that there is a lot of movement and once it's off the loom and wet finished, it should have an iridescent quality that tencel is almost always known for. 



     For the second scarf, I chose a red-violet weft also in tencel.  The final product will be less dramatic than the first for a more subtle look.  The broken twill pattern is slight breaking the movement in the overall pattern in rectangular blocks.



Now back to the drawing table for two more designs :)

Americana Chenille Scarves on Memorial Day

Still working through the stash of yarn that I already have, I've decided on a run of chenille scarves in red, white and blue!

There is so much to work through in my stash and at the rate I'm going, I may never have to buy yarn again!

I took pictures indoors on a dreary day so the colors don't pop like they would in natural sunlight but you get the idea.  I went with a classic plaid for two and a plain creamy white for the weft in the third.

This was a quick easy plain weave...just trying to cut down the stash!


The weather has finally broken!  An extra month of Winter was a little too much for me so, when I'm not home when I should be home, it's on the trail I am.  Lush green leaves are finally here :)



The Second Two Twills

The last two scarves are plaited twills.  I started with a silver weft and a strange thing started happening again.  I'm getting little lines of fuzz as I weave on the right hand side of the fabric.  I'm assuming that the reed is doing this and I can't seem to figure out why.  When I wet finish the fabric, the fuzz goes away but I can't seem to figure out why it's happening.  Perhaps it's my beat.



     The last scarf is also a plaited twill this time done in a light sunny yellow for a nice contrast.



Finally...twisting the fringe!


My next project will be another straight draw and I'll probably design in the lift plan to get some more detailed imagery.